In an unexpected twist, and while numerous JRPG fans were eagerly awaiting a potential HD-2D remake of Chrono Trigger (rumors… what can you do?), Nintendo revealed, during today’s Nintendo Direct, a complete re-haul for none other than Super Mario RPG. That’s right! Super Mario RPG returns to Nintendo Switch. And not at an hypothetical date in the future or with a vague launch window. Nintendo said that the remake of Super Mario RPG will be available on November 17 2023 (the same date as Persona 5 Tactica).
What is Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars?
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is a role-playing video game (RPG) developed by Square (now Square Enix) and published by Nintendo. It was first released in 1996 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). The game features Mario and his friends as they journey to defeat the game’s main antagonist, Smithy, who has caused the seven star pieces to scatter all over the world. The game combines traditional RPG elements like experience points and leveling up with platforming elements familiar to fans of the Super Mario series.
Who are the main characters in Super Mario RPG?
The game features a diverse cast of characters that join Mario on his adventure:
- Mario: The iconic plumber and hero of the Mushroom Kingdom is the protagonist of the game. He retains many of his traditional abilities, such as jumping on enemies, and also gains new RPG-style abilities.
- Princess Toadstool (Peach): Peach is a playable character in this game, which was unusual at the time of release. She has healing and support abilities that are invaluable to the party.
- Bowser: Surprisingly, Bowser becomes an ally to Mario in this game, due to Smithy taking over his castle. Bowser’s abilities are mainly offensive and he has high physical defense.
- Mallow: A fluffy character who believes he’s a frog. He has powerful magic abilities and learns the truth about his identity during the game.
- Geno: A doll possessed by a celestial spirit, Geno has high attack power and a variety of unique abilities.
How does the gameplay work in Super Mario RPG?
Super Mario RPG combines elements of action-based platformers and traditional turn-based RPGs. You control Mario in a 3D isometric world, jumping and interacting with the environment to solve puzzles and find hidden items. Combat is turn-based, with the ability to influence attacks and defenses through timed button presses, a mechanic that would be used in later Mario RPGs.
In combat, Mario and his allies use a variety of attacks, special abilities, and items to defeat enemies. Winning battles grants experience points, which allow characters to level up and improve their stats. In addition, the game features mini-games and side quests that can provide additional rewards.
Can I play Super Mario RPG on modern systems?
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was available on the Wii, Wii U, and New Nintendo 3DS via the Virtual Console service. However, each and every one of these services were stopped by Nintendo. Right now, it’s not even available on the SNES app for Nintendo Switch Online members.
The only way to legally play Super Mario RPG on an HD TV is via the Super Nintendo Entertainment System Classic (or SNES Mini) that contains 21 of the most important game of the SNES library including Super Mario RPG.
Otherwise you need an emulator to play the game on PC or Mac. It’s very easy to do but with the remake coming, we advise you to wait just a little bit longer. After all, Final Fantasy XVI is just around the corner.